TP-Link TL-WN823N Mini (Wireless-N, USB, 300Mbps)

Network Network, TP-Link, USB, WiFi, Wireless

TP-Link TL-WN823N Mini (Wireless-N, USB, 300Mbps)
Linux compatibility:
8 votes, average: 2.6 out of 58 votes, average: 2.6 out of 58 votes, average: 2.6 out of 58 votes, average: 2.6 out of 58 votes, average: 2.6 out of 5
  ( 2.6 with 8 ratings)

Price: ₹ 540.00 (on stock)
(without shipping costs)

Buy from Amazon.in

Price trend
TP-Link TL-WN823N Mini
Minimum: ₹ 0.00
Maximum: ₹ 540.00
Updated: 13/11/2016 19:36

Review of Linux Compatibility

The TL-WN823N WLAN USB stick bases on the Realtek chip set RTL8192CU and provides a transmission rate up to 300Mbps.

The TL-WN823N is recognized by the kernel with the USB ID 0bda:8178:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter

However, the stick is not fully supported by the kernel module rtl8192cu that is used by Ubuntu 12.10, e.g. the connection drops regularly. To prevent this behaviour one has to add the following module options in the file /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8192cu.conf to disable the hardware encryption and use software based encryption instead:

options rtl8192cu swenc=1

Realtek Module 8192cu

It is recommended to replace the standard driver by the original Realtek drivers 8192cu. If the Realtek driver is used instead of the module which is part of the standard kernel, the automatic loading of the kernel module has to be inhibited. To achieve this, the rtl8192cu driver provided by the standard kernel has to be blacklisted in the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf by adding the following line:

blacklist rtl8192cu

The module from the Realtek homepage is called 8192cu and has to be compiled by hand. Under Ubuntu compilation will need the build-essentials to be installed:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Compilation will be achieved by the install script that is part of the downloaded file:

sudo sh install.sh

The compiled driver can be loaded by the command

sudo modprobe 8192cu

Due to a bug in the power management of the 8192cu driver the connection can drop if the device is set to power save mode. This can be seen in the log files:

rtl8192c_dm_RF_Saving(): RF_Normal
rtl8192c_set_FwPwrMode_cmd(): Mode = 1, SmartPS = 2
rtw_set_ps_mode(): Busy Traffic , Leave 802.11 power save..
rtl8192c_set_FwPwrMode_cmd(): Mode = 0, SmartPS = 0
rtl8192c_dm_RF_Saving(): RF_Save
rtw_set_ps_mode(): Enter 802.11 power save mode...

To prevent the power save mode one has to add the following module options in the file /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf:

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

Similar Linux Hardware

scroll left scroll right

8 Comments

• Thomas on said:

Is it possible to enable wifi master mode on that stick ?
    Im searching a master mode wifi stick to run wifi hotspot on up or raspberry pi

• Daniel on said:

Early days still, but this adapter (and especially this article) has been a life-saver for me!

Don’t know if it’s the hardware or the Linux driver, but my laptop’s Intel Centrino type wifi adapter has started to get flaky and drops out after a couple of hours with hundreds of thousands of missed / retried packets (although it used to be fine).

I was able to switch the Centrino off in BIOS and use this USB adapter instead! The default “rtl8192cu” driver works but I did have to enable software encryption.

But it’s late 2014 now and so I wonder if the kernel’s default “rtl8192cu” driver is any worse than the official Realtek one which was last updated on 2013/10/29. Hmmm…

• linuxprism on said:

Just as a side note: depending on your laptop it might be possible to replace the broken internal Intel Centrino WiFi chip with one of these PCIe Mini Cards. This way you would not need an USB stick plugged in all the time.

• Daniel on said:

Thanks linuxprism, I haven’t yet been in my laptop’s internal gubbins. I think it’s actually a driver issue as per this: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/500581-Problem-with-Intel-7260-Kernel-3-11

And, further to my previous glowing review, the TP-Link stick with the default “rtl8192cu” driver drops out after about 30 minutes of use (nor have I been able to compile the official Realtek driver) :-/

In a nutshell I’m waiting to be saved by a Linux kernel update. If that doesn’t work, my hardware is definitely fried :-(

Thanks a lot.

• papajoe on said:

Maybe someone can help you compiling the driver, if you can provide us with the error message of the compiler. What distribution do you use, and did you install the complete build environment, e.g. by
      sudo apt-get build-dep linux-image-`uname -r`
      under Ubuntu.

• daniel on said:

I run Ubuntu 12.04 on a PC. recently I purchased a TP-Link USB adapter TL-WN8200HD

As it turned out it is not supported by the drivers that came with the Ubuntu 12.04. From Web Search I understood that the core of this tp-link USB adapter is Realtek hardware and that the suitable driver for Linux is also 8192cu. I downloaded it and followed the instructions here.

Eventually my USB adapter works !!! it recognize my wireless network and even connects to internet.
    but the transition rates are very low :-(

when I connect by wire (Ethernet cable) I achieve around 10Mb download and 1Mb upload. while when I connecting wireless i get only 5Mb download and almost no upload (with 1m distance)

what can be the reason for that ?

If it can help, this is the result of iwconfig command :

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"xyz" Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point: 00:11:22:33:44:55
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Sensitivity:0/0
    Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=100/100 Signal level=100/100 Noise level=0/100
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

p.s : I am relatively new to Ubuntu (and Linux). so please be detailed in your response

• bob on said:

wifi usb dongle recognised but go in power mode after little time

i cant find 8192cu.conf file to add last command … :-.(

• admin on said:

You can simply create the file. The kernel will consider all *.conf files in this directory automatically.

• Comments

Please use the comment section to submit corrections to the article as well as relevant excerpts of lspci, lsusb, lshw, dmesg e.t.c. Furthermore, use the section for the exchange of experiences with this hardware component or search for configuration help from other owners of this hardware.

Email address will not be published.
    Submitting comment...